Thursday, May 3, 2012

"Easier Everyday"

I had heard during the last few weeks of my pregnancy and was reminded numerous times during the first few weeks after having him, that "it gets easier everyday." An "experienced" mother (she has 3 kids, so I consider that experienced) told me, "If you can make it through that first day at home, just know that it gets easier everyday after that - but it never gets easy." I almost completely agree...

Yes, all of those people were right in the fact that it does get easier, but never gets easy. However, the first two weeks were a breeze! He slept all the time, I had Andrew home to help - plus 2 fabulous grandmas staying here! It wasn't until the third week that $&*# hit the fan. I was alone - alllll alone - with a little man to take care of...needless to say, I was terrified. I was lonely too - going from a houseful of people, visitors constantly, and all the excitement to nothing but me, Davis and 'The View' was a huge transition. That's when it came....I can't say I wasn't warned, but it was only by one person (also a new mom)....the third week - dun dun dun!!!! Holy moly - the third week was a struggle. My sweet, sleepy baby was no more. He was awake and cranky! We had a day or two when we suspected the awful 'c' word - colic. Thankfully, I don't think that was the case...just a few extremely gassy, fussy hours. That's about the week that the thought "what did I get myself into?" came into my mind. Show me a mother who says she didn't have this thought - even for a split second - and I'll show you a liar. During the more difficult times, I had to cling to that famous phrase - "it gets easier everyday". So at 3:30am, after 2 hours of crying for seemingly no reason, I kept thinking to myself, "if I can go to sleep and wake up tomorrow, it will be easier than it is today." For the most part, it was true.

Now, being in the middle of the 8th week (I can't believe it!!) I can honestly say that it is easier! Yes, he's awake more but he's happy! Or if he's not happy, it's easier to figure out why and to fix it! It doesn't hurt that a few weeks ago he started smiling and hasn't stopped since. It is absolutely impossible - no matter how frustrated I am cleaning a diaper blow-out at 4 am - to be angry when he looks up and smiles at me from that changing table. I melt. This kid will get away with anything in life if he keeps looking at and smiling at me (and his daddy) like that!

So, if there are any expectant mothers out there that are tired of hearing all of the stories and advice from us "experienced" mothers, just ignore all of it except "it gets easier everyday - starting after the 3rd week." It may be what gets you through the day....or at least the next few weeks until the smiles start rolling in! :)
How could you resist this face?!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Erin! I may need more posts like this in the coming months! You are a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be fabulous! But call anytime to vent and so I can laugh at your stories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your stories. I will say this though. Coming from a mom that is celebrating her daughters 15th birthday today. Certain things in life get easier, but the worry gets greater. You never understand what "your" parents went through until that precious child looks to you for guidance or when they are experiencing life issues for the first time. Just hold them tight and love unconditionally! :)

    ReplyDelete