Sunday, February 19, 2012

10 Words

Yesterday, my very anti-talk-about-pregnancy/babies/children best friend actually initiated a serious conversation about pregnancy with me. Well, as serious as you can be after sipping on champagne and wine for hours (her - not me!). We had spent the day celebrating her recent engagement - yay for Tia and Kurt! It was wonderful to spend time with some of my very favorite ladies. I seriously thought I was on the verge of laughing the baby out quite a few times.

Anyway, after many hours of celebrating, my BFF (who just so happens to be Davis' fairy godmother) wanted to get serious. In the midst of having a conversation with my mom, she looked at me said, "5 words to describe pregnancy - go! Wait, no...let's make it 10 - go!" It kind of caught me off-guard and I was only able to come up with about 3 words. Since then I've been thinking about what these 10 words would be for me. After much consideration, this is what I've come up with:

1. nervous - "What if something goes wrong? What if I'm a terrible mother? What if (insert any ridiculous thought here)?" These are the things that go through my head on a daily basis.

2. exciting - We're going to have a baby! Our lives are about to change forever - from now on, we will forever be parents!

3. scared - I have to push a watermelon out of my hoo-ha! After that, I have to figure out how to care for a helpless human being that is completely dependent on me.

4. uncomfortable - This one doesn't need much explanation. I waddle. I itch. My clothes don't fit quite right. I have to pee. A lot. It's hard to breathe. I feel like a weight is crushing my insides every time I lay down. And so on, and so on.

5. sober - By no means did I go through alcohol withdraws or anything, but I do miss the social bonding that happens over a couple of drinks. Happy hour after work, a few glasses of wine with the girls, beer in hand during  tailgates haven't happened in 9 months. It's been a bit of an adjustment - an adjustment I know is well worth it - if for no other reason than peace of mind.

6. pampered - As mentioned in a previous post, people are really nice to pregnant ladies. I get to skip lines for the bathroom, people always smile at me and ask me a slew of questions, I get to eat whatever I want without being judged. Today I even went out shopping in a t-shirt, running shorts, flip-flops, hair in a pony tail, sans make-up...and guess what? It was okay because I'm extremely pregnant.

7. responsible - I'm a real adult now - a parent. In just a few weeks, I will have another life that I am responsible for for at least the next 18 years.

8. impatient/anxious - The anticipation is killing me!! I like to be in control. I like to plan. It's driving me crazy that there's no way to plan the exact time this little boy will be ready  to make his way into the world. It's just a waiting game now. Knowing it can happen at any time is driving me absolutely insane.

9. amazed - The changes that a woman's body goes through is really amazing. I had no idea my stomach could get so big, that my skin could stretch so much. It's also amazing to think about how a little person is made from just a sperm and an egg - crazy!

10. accomplished - I grew a person!!! :) (and I've done most of it with a smile on my face!)

So there are my 10 words to describe what pregnancy was/is like for me. I'm curious what my 10 words will be about parenthood if asked this time next year...??

2 comments:

  1. Erin!

    Laura just forwarded me your blog link, and I've loved catching up on your life reading through it! You're a great writer. Love your honesty and humor. And you're also a gorgeous preggers! Congratulations! I'm glad to see you're doing so well!

    Love ya,
    Mackenzie (Curran) Webel :)

    ReplyDelete